Oak Cliff is my favorite Dallas neighborhood. It is by far the most historically and culturally rich part of Dallas. There is no better way to see the real Oak Cliff than to have a life long resident as a tour guide. A good friend of mine has lived there his entire life, through the bad and now the good. I visit places based on his recommendations all the time and I have yet to be disappointed. Today was no exception.
China Crown Chinese Restaurant is located at 238 Sunset (the corner of Sunset and Madison in Oak Cliff). It’s basically right behind the Texas Theater and like most of the best places; it’s a hole in the wall. The windows and doors are covered with familiar iron bars reminding us of Oak Cliff’s turbulent not so distant past. Inside it’s small and clean. The overhead menu board has over 60 standard Chinese food dishes at amazingly low prices. The preparation and taste is far from standard however. This is not your familiar local fast food Chinese delivery. We ordered and watched as each of our dishes was cooked and prepared fresh as we ordered.
The Hot and Sour soup came highly recommended and did not disappoint. For $3.50 you get a big bowl of soup containing no less than baby corns, broccoli, mushrooms, bamboo, pork, shrimp, carrots, water chestnuts and eggs. It’s not too spicy either, making it easy to enjoy once the temperature drops below boiling lava hot. The best hot and sour soup I’ve ever had, hands down.
We also ordered the sweet and sour chicken with the sauce on the side. This was another huge dish that was only a couple of bucks. Everything was perfect with a super flavor. The sweet and sour sauce contained nice big chunks of fresh pineapple, onion and bell pepper. The fried rice had nice bits of carrots and peas along with a perfect dose of soy sauce cooked in.
The beef and chicken chow mein were every bit as tasty as everything else. The beef was particularly amazing with its buttery, savory, melt in your mouth self. All plates also came with a delicious egg roll and a chicken wing too.
This place is a no brainer folks. Everyone knows in order to find the best food in town you need to ask a local. Well, this locally owned and operated place is what it’s all about. Every bit of the clientele are locals as well. It’s no frills, soulful, delicious food prepared fresh plate by plate as you order at a ridiculously fair price. I’m so thankful places like this can still exist, albeit difficult this day and age.
Support LOCAL business and we all win!
This post has been read 5465 times!
- Fat girls and tattoos.
- Peppermill Fireside Lounge is keeping it real.
- Five Amazing Women Pioneering The Dallas Craft Beer Scene.
- China Crown – Oak Cliff Wins Again!
- Hard Times Beef Jerky.
- WorstDamnThings. – Rep. Todd Akin…
- Movies you don’t have to think about.
- Double Down Saloon Dominates Las Vegas.
- Oregano’s – Pizza Beast-ro.
- firstname.lastname@example.org on Best Damn Things Opening Dallas Craft Beer Pub.
- Amber Medin on Best Damn Things Opening Dallas Craft Beer Pub.
- Brew news: DFW craft breweries opening this year on Five Amazing Women Pioneering The Dallas Craft Beer Scene.
- Mark on I Don’t Appreciate Your Ruse, Stateside Pie & Beer.
- your mom on Worst Damn Things: The Hardest Leg Kick You Will Ever See.
Like what we're doing? Best Damn Things gladly accepts tips!