As you know, we are constantly on the search for the best of best. But during our campaign we occasionally find the worst of the worst. Enter Stateside Pie & Beer in Mesquite, Texas.
Stateside is located at 1335 North Peachtree in the old Johnny Carino’s building. Interestingly enough Stateside is owned by Fire Up Inc., the same corporation that owns Carino’s. And they seem to have taken the same old suburban corporate chain restaurant way of thinking and injected it right into our personal favorite type of establishment; a craft beer and artisan pizza place.
I could go on for days about what bothers me so much about Stateside but for all our sakes I will keep it brief.
The menu says 100% Made From Scratch. It’s actually 100% total bullshit. You needn’t look beyond the ”soft” pretzel appetizer to figure that out. We were served frozen Super Pretzels that had apparently been left over from the night before as they had the consistency of a baguette. Keeping it consistent, the accompanying side of “beer cheese” sauce was rancid and completely inedible as well.
Next up, the pizza. It was absolutely no better than our starter. It had an overall metallic taste that is most associated with sauce that comes from a can. Hmm. We ordered the “thin” with mushrooms and pepperoni. The mushrooms were also…you guessed it…from a can and the pepperoni was in no way sliced right off of a fresh sausage. Again, it’s 100% bullshit.
The beer? Well, it’s a semi-craft selection with no emphasis placed on quality. They even have a few of their “own” beers to choose from. Although this is just more trickery, as they are not a brew pub and actually buy “their” beer from Circle Brewing in Austin.
You can get better pizza at ANY place in town. In fact, if you want the best, check out my list of favorites by style HERE.
And if it’s craft beer you’re after, you can do better at ANY craft beer place in town as well.
Do yourself a favor. Don’t support the corporate giants. Especially when they try so slyly to pass off a place like Stateside with the sole purpose of taking full advantage of a growing trend without putting one ounce of effort into it. There is way too many local owners of local pubs doing it right and for all the right reasons.
This post has been read 5471 times!
- ’30s style abortion.
- The Amazing Texas Theatre.
- Five Amazing Women Pioneering The Dallas Craft Beer Scene.
- Peppermill Fireside Lounge is keeping it real.
- Fat girls and tattoos.
- Best Pizza By Style – DFW
- Movies you don’t have to think about.
- 11 Must-Read Buddhist Books…
- China Crown – Oak Cliff Wins Again!
- Hard Times Beef Jerky.
- firstname.lastname@example.org on Best Damn Things Opening Dallas Craft Beer Pub.
- Amber Medin on Best Damn Things Opening Dallas Craft Beer Pub.
- Brew news: DFW craft breweries opening this year on Five Amazing Women Pioneering The Dallas Craft Beer Scene.
- Mark on I Don’t Appreciate Your Ruse, Stateside Pie & Beer.
- your mom on Worst Damn Things: The Hardest Leg Kick You Will Ever See.
Like what we're doing? Best Damn Things gladly accepts tips!